Thursday, April 15, 2010

Special Birthday Thank you! Peek-a-boo Card Tutorial

Baby Boy turned one last week! So...I am busy making thank yous for the people who love him almost as much as me. I thought I would share my easy ideas!

Nothing says thank you better than a cute handmade card. Better yet, one with a memorable photo to go along! I promise your card won't end up in the trash can, but on the fridge for sure!

First, I have to brag a little about this little gadget of mine. My favorite corner rounder punch! It was one of those things that I never would have bought myself. I am not an avid scrap book Queen, but I like to dabble. I never knew I would use it so much!

Mine just simply rounds the corners...see the difference!?! This one is almost 10 years old, but the cool thing now is that they even have corner punches that are decorative.
You can be as simple or fancy as you want.

Now that my pictures are all nice and rounded...I will move onto the simple cards.

First up...the "Peek-a-boo" card

For these cards you will need:
Cute paper
Paper cutter (or scissors)
Paper corner punch (if you want to be fancy)
Your favorite photo
Tape or glue stick

Peek-a-boo card # 1

1. Fold your paper and cut to the size you want your card. Use a paper cutter to get a more precise line. If you don't have a paper cutter, use a ruler to draw a line and cut along it. It seems like more work, but it is less work than cutting a corner sliver by sliver.

2. Draw your "peek-a-boo" shape! Use an exacto knife to cut it out. Get creative! Circles, hearts...you can cater to the reason of the card or your mood.

3. Put tape or glue on the back of your photo and then slide it into position holding it against your "peek-a-boo" space. Careful not to get glue on your fingers. :)





3. Gently place your card and the photo in position onto a flat surface and press firmly down where you taped or glued. You are done!

P.S. - I rounded my corners with the card closed to get the cute effect. Punch your corners for that extra little detail!


Peek-a-boo # 2

1. Follow step 1 above to get your card started. This time, you will tape the photo to the inside front of the card. This keeps the photo flush with the card face. With this card, you will have more room inside to write your message.




2. Voila! Card # 2 done!







Now you have two similar ways to customize a simple card with your favorite photo!
But wait...do you want one more?

Peek-a-boo with a twist!

1. Once you make Peek-a-boo card #2, layer it up! Make another simple card out of coordinating paper. Make sure the two cards are the same width, but that the extra card is noticeably taller/longer.





2. Place your Peek-a-boo card on top of the taller card. You will glue or tape only at the edges. This allows the card to still be easily opened and closed.





Done again! You are on a roll! Pat yourself on the back, or better yet...
grab a piece of chocolate to eat while you write a special note inside.

A few little extras...
Layer your photo on top of coordinating cute papers of different sizes! You can write a note on the back, and I am positive your card will still end up on display.

If you don't have the time or patience for cutting holes in the center of cards, make it easy.
Just fold a piece of paper in half for the card, and place a picture inside from the event you are thanking them for attending. Write your message and you are finished!

If you are making some goodies for your friends and loved ones, why not make your photo's into thank you tags. There are a large variety of tag punches out there waiting to be discovered in all different sizes. Here's a tip...you can position your photo by looking under the punch with the photo facing down to make it just right.

You won't even have to write who the goodies are from!
Just a simple "thanks" or "we love you" on the back! Tie it on and you are done.


I am off to the post office to mail out our special birthday thank yous for my baby boy!
Can't believe he is one year already.

Cheers,



No comments: